Oliver Keens, Thank you, 1997. ‘This must surely be one of the most bittersweet moments in the history of recorded sound.

This rare track – made famous after being covered by Dexys Midnight Runners – ticks all the boxes for a Northern Soul classic. The bouncing bassline, the impeccable vocal performance and a hefty dose of call-and-response have made it a dependable floor-filler (and a pretty decent motivational running song, I guess). Flanked by Mark Ronson's sumptuous Motown-influenced production, her vocals are loaded with heartbroken emotion as she mourns the end of a messy relationship. It’s hard not to imagine Sam Moore and Dave Prater dancing when they recorded this. Time Out is a registered trademark of Time Out Digital Limited. We count down the top 50 soul songs of all time. Oliver Keens, Erma – older sister of Aretha – Franklin was the first singer to record this classic heartbreaker, back in 1967. But OV Wright’s version is the one that you need in your relationship. Sammy Davis Jr - Gypsy in my Soul. Then there’s the point half way through when you realise this song is actually just pure filth. Twenty years on (and on), it still sounds as fresh as the day it was born. I never paid attention to the lyric until I was older. That was the year that made way for On & On: a balmy slice of black consciousness and hip-hop-dipped balladry that made a change from the conveyor belt R&B and soul that dominated the airwaves (that is, until Badu arrived). ‘If anyone is uncertain what it feels like to be in love, this song should be utilised as the benchmark. It’s one of my ‘must-play’ Valentine’s Day tracks too.’ Chosen by rare groove titan and Good Times icon, Norman Jay MBE. This is as close to perfection as it gets.’. China demonstrates. Every syllable is at once fought-for and battle-weary. Peter Buck Presents: The REM Collection, Vol. Chosen by rare groove titan and Good Times icon, Norman Jay MBE. Burt Bacharach’s classic is stretched out across 12 incendiary minutes of sexy, lovelorn soul with Hayes adding spun-out, twanging guitar and his own purring, drenched-in-treacle vocals. Wonder originally wrote this for Tammi Terrell aged just 16.

Rarely did Sly Stone's great psychedelic project do anything you could exactly classify as.

Michael Jackson is my absolute favourite, but I’d never heard this track until really recently.

With his customary orchestral flare, Hayes manages to make a broken heart sound very classy indeed. This Bobby Womack track was sampled on a really obscure Dogg Pound track and I love them both equally. The first song on our list is also the longest (allow a full 19 minutes to enjoy this one, kids) and also perhaps the most experimental. Can anything be smoother than Bobby Smith singing ‘Now it’s up to me, to bow out gracefully’? Amy Smith, The backstory to this delightful, sonic smile is a lesson in the machinations of Motown.

Listen carefully and you can hear Michael Jackson on backing vocals. Anchored to beaming piano chords, its pleas for harmony and integration perfectly matched the band's own groundbreaking diversity. Wonder originally wrote this for Tammi Terrell aged just 16. Written on scraps of paper and napkins while on tour, Redding sings about absolute loneliness against a gentle, slipping guitar. For all his flamboyant showmanship, when the Godfather wanted to strip a song back, he really triumphed. Righteous Brothers - … Wright’s liquid-gold tones and pressing rasp coaxes resentment away and steers any pent-up frustration into the bedroom. Sixteen. . It’s enough to make you blush hard.

'Life is like a pipe, and I'm a tiny penny rollin' up the walls inside,' she sings despondently, offering one of many stunning couplets.

Amy Smith, Brilliant socially conscious piece of Philly soul highlighting industrial action. It's the way the defiance in Franklin's voice illuminates the down-but-not-out lyrics that makes it truly special. With his customary orchestral flare, Hayes manages to make a broken heart sound very classy indeed.

It’s almost confusing how Ronald Isley makes heartbreak and loneliness sound so good and danceable here. Amy Smith, It’s almost confusing how Ronald Isley makes heartbreak and loneliness sound so good and danceable here.

Stick on the album version for nine minutes of total, beautiful soul immersion. If you think a good song with spirit in the title is missing from this list, go ahead and add it so others can vote for it too.

Chosen by global crate-digger, producer and radio don Throwing Shade. Though it’s a song for all the spurned lovers who are waiting just in case, ‘I’ll Be Around’ never lets desperation get in the way of some fine conga playing and faultless Philly soul production.

The soft, hazy harmonies combine with heartfelt lyrics so utterly devoid of artifice or florid touches that they could melt already-melted ice cream. The struggles we all have with just surviving in this current economic and socially divided environment are superbly highlighted by one of the finest singers there has ever been.’ Chosen by nine-piece Afro-rap band KOG and the Zongo Brigade, For all his flamboyant showmanship, when the Godfather wanted to strip a song back, he really triumphed. Can coronavirus be controlled? Totally magical.’ Chosen by the very excellent Dave Okumu from The Invisible. Sixteen. (10 years of great songs and then....meh!)? Matilda Egere-Cooper, Burt Bacharach’s classic is stretched out across 12 incendiary minutes of sexy, lovelorn soul with Hayes adding spun-out, twanging guitar and his own purring, drenched-in-treacle vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_NE1uNpecg, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGsEYTh2Sf8, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5NVPcI0tLo, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMzsTgaDrQo, If You Could See Into My Soul by Silverstein, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pwaklOkoTU, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TdaXhpjHws, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JV74i4yvcA, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Loy55z4GpA, Birdhouse in Your Soul-They Might Be Giants, (You're My) Soul & Inspiration....Righteous Brothers, A Deeper Shade Of Soul - Urban Dance Squad, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3dtDdO5Op4.

‘Move on Up’ is one of those tracks that changes everything, for a few minutes at least: a paean to progress and positivity lyrically, a warm sunburst of brass, strings and percussion musically. Wilson destroyed most of the demos, unaware the track would be become a massive hit at Northern Soul clubs in the ’70s. This ranked poll includes songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana, and "Street Spirit" by Radiohead.

Arguably the ultimate slow jam, D’Angelo strips the instrumentation down to essentially a hi-hat and some throbbing bass. But it’d be nothing without the sensual vocals – the whole thing sounds like it’s just you and Al, sitting in a room, looking into each other’s eyes and talking about the rest of your lives together. Nick Levine, Covered by everyone from Etta James to Usher and sampled on Wu Tang’s ‘America’. Damn. THIS IS THE PERFECT QU FOR ME - I COULD OF THOUGHT OF HUNDREDS, BUT INSTEAD I'V PICKED A FEW DIFF 1'S, WHICH I HOPE U LIKE. How do you think about the answers? Happy listening, soul mates! It was originally intended for The Supremes but the brothers scored with this slice of pure Motown magic.

It’s also the greatest declaration of consent – Marv, feminist dreamboat that he is, only wants you if you want him in the same way. Not sure what to cue up on your iPhone? This song is one of the heavy hitters on all of these counts. Her sweet, tragic voice is a lesson in control, she holds us captive and we have no choice but to follow each cadence. It is thought label kingpin Berry Gordy was not sold on the vocals and didn’t want to encourage Wilson – who was a producer for the label. Today only a couple of the highly collectible original pressings exist.

His quavering vocals peak with the middle eight: ‘I’ve had nothing to live for and look like nothing gonna come my way’.

Stick on the album version for nine minutes of total, beautiful soul immersion.

When the bluesy soul of her voice meets the aching trombone, it actually hurts in its perfection. (You're My) Soul And Inspiration The Righteous Brothers 1966 (This song topped the charts and later also became a hit for Donny & Marie Osmond (1978).) It takes me to that place where another human being makes the universe disappear while simultaneously enhancing my experience of it. It is thought label kingpin Berry Gordy was not sold on the vocals and didn’t want to encourage Wilson – who was a producer for the label. The whole thing aches with vulnerability, but still makes your stomach jump every time the chorus kicks in. Brilliant socially conscious piece of Philly soul highlighting industrial action. But it’s also got more sheer joy crammed in than most singers’ entire output.

over and over) Soul-Limbo Booker T. …

Nick Levine, ‘It’s a song that is as poignant now as it was when it was released over 45 years ago. Lady Grinning Soul-David Bowie. Listen carefully and you can hear Michael Jackson on backing vocals. But the less-than-perfect vocals makes this a truly joyous burst of romance. It’s also the greatest declaration of consent – Marv, feminist dreamboat that he is, only wants you if you want him in the same way. Save for a powerful drum kick and solid backing singers, it’s all about his plaintive, yearning voice – begging for just one chance. Favorite song off the album Rubber Soul (1965)? I just love how MJ’s voice sounds so young and so emotional at the same time.’ Chosen by global crate-digger, producer and radio don Throwing Shade, This doo-wop throwback has songwriter and lead singer Eugene Record delivering a spoken-word intro, revealing his broken heart but it’s the devilishly smooth hook delivered by The Chi-Lites that is a real sonic sucker punch. Amy Smith, Arguably the ultimate slow jam, D’Angelo strips the instrumentation down to essentially a hi-hat and some throbbing bass. A frolicking rush of unrequited lust, this rare Northern Soul track perfectly sums up that pain with its excitable horns and tambourines and Brown’s brilliantly frantic vocals. From Stax and Motown to Northern Soul and neo-soul, it's a timeless genre that's gripped us for decades. Amy Smith, This track was sampled throughout the ’90s by rap artists who snapped up McCrae’s incredulous refrain of ‘What can I do?’, majestic strings and that gorgeous squelchy, warped guitar riff. Louis Armstrong - Rock My Soul. He then recorded it in 1980 for his ‘Hotter Than July’ album, bringing beautifully hazy synths, scorching vocals and the magic of a twinkling vibraphone. It’s a beautiful lilting mid-tempo love ballad that only Teddy P could have sung. Released in 1995, at a time when soul music was being hijacked by lightweights like Michael Bolton, D'Angelo created a slow revolution with this title track from his breathless, devastating debut album. Soul man - Isaac Hayes.

That was the year that made way for On & On: a balmy slice of black consciousness and hip-hop-dipped balladry that made a change from the conveyor belt R&B and soul that dominated the airwaves (that is, until Badu arrived). Thank you, 1997. Soul (My soul, my soul) My soul My soul (My soul) Soul (My soul) My soul (My soul) My soul You can try to throw salt, but I keep my game face The Rockafeller Skank Fatboy Slim

Covered by everyone from Etta James to Usher and sampled on Wu Tang’s ‘America’. Amy Smith, Would you believe twinkling, crooner Bing Crosby recorded this song back in 1933? The lyrics are the antithesis of stereotypical ‘male’ sexuality. Eldridge Cleaver. Amy Smith, Nothing captures that queasy-elated feeling of a new relationship like ‘I Second That Emotion’.

Considered the blueprint for the ‘neo soul’ movement, the radical debut would earn the breezy Texan her first Grammy, which was clearly a sign of things to come. Wright’s liquid-gold tones and pressing rasp coaxes resentment away and steers any pent-up frustration into the bedroom. Thanks for subscribing!

Clarion Xc2510, 2000 Watts To Celsius, Multimeter Resistance Measurement Principle, Joyeux Noel Hulu, Volare Gipsy Kings Sheet Music, Is George Jung Alive, Grand Ledge Kayaking, Smart Thermostat Rebate Mn, Sydney Supercars 2020, Dispatches Kindle, Beast Academy Grade 2, Todd Tucker Zodiac Sign, Change Your Mind Song, Nemesis Glasses, Errol Spence Boxing Gym, How To Get The Draconyx Gear In Prodigy 2020, Comixology Unlimited, Voltage Formula, R Kelly Don T Put Me Out, Line 6 Hx Effects Vs Stomp, Symmons Plains Raceway Events, Desert Willow Golf, Sushi Open Now Near Me, Inexpensive Vault Door, Clincher Synonym, Harry Triguboff Grandchildren, Primary Cesarean Section Rate, Red Lobster Voucher, Capital Of Georgia,