He is then held for what he is told is suspected smallpox. So it is as if their status as immigrants literally gets in the way of the hopes and dreams of their new lives in America. https://godfather.fandom.com/wiki/Ellis_Island?oldid=88346, When Vito arrives on Ellis Island he is marked with an X inside a circle. 2:00pm-3:15pm Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Required fields are marked *. She even admits that she understands that while they have not always seen eye-to-eye, that Michael was “just being strong for [the family]” (The Godfather Part II). The Godfather is simply more than just a mafia film in my opinion. The scene where Vito reaches America is extremely poignant and powerful. Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat. When they get off the boat they are forced through equal parts humiliating and infuriating customs. gmurphy@ccny.cuny.edu, ITF: Aaron Kendall In addition, the people on the ships can see the skyline of New York, but their view is blocked by the harbor and other ships. This is also seen later when Vito gets to his room facing the Statue of Liberty. The Godfather Part II: Vito Arrives at Ellis Island. During this scene, the camera angle on Connie is slightly high angle, which is an angle that creates a sense of vulnerability. Instead, in this film, the camera pans over the faces of immigrant after immigrant and all of the faces are somber and worried. Ellis Island operated from 1892 to 1954. The GodFather II: Scene Analysis The scene where Vito reaches America is extremely poignant and powerful. One such immigrant was Vito Andolini, who, in 1901, was mistakenly registered as "Vito Corleone", the name he kept for the rest of his life. The shots of both Connie and Michael in this scene are close-ups, for only their faces and shoulders are visible. Office Hours: Mon. Mondays & Wednesdays The way the film shows this scene is very interesting. 12-5pm In fact, there is a kind of ominous tone to the music actually, which I suppose sets the mood of the film, which is that America is not necessarily the land of the free and beautiful, for some especially. The music is cultural and not necessarily sad or triumphant. Have an open mind and see this film if you get the chance. When Vito arrives on Ellis Island he is marked with an X inside a circle. He is then held for what he is told is suspected smallpox. NAC 4/150. It creates a sharp contrast with other depictions about the trip to Ellis Island, which are usually characterized as beautiful, joyous and hopeful. I promise that you won’t regret it, even if the running time is three hours in total. Your email address will not be published. Your email address will not be published. The Godfather Part II: Camera Technique Scene Analysis In The Godfather Part II, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, there is a scene during which Michael Corleone’s sister Connie pleads with Michael to make amends with his brother Fredo for Fredo’s sake, since their mother has just died and Fredo “is so sweet and helpless without [Michael]” (The Godfather Part II). This allows the audience to more clearly observe the characters’ emotions, which is necessary in this scene because of the tensions that exist between Michael and Connie, and Connie’s vulnerable and pathetic state. From his perspective, it is as if he is too “dirty”( the window) to access that version of America that can give him equal opportunity. They are clustered together and forced on this tumultuous journey and there is not much joy to be had. In The Godfather Part II, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, there is a scene during which Michael Corleone’s sister Connie pleads with Michael to make amends with his brother Fredo for Fredo’s sake, since their mother has just died and Fredo “is so sweet and helpless without [Michael]” (The Godfather Part II). In reality, this would have meant he was suspected of having a mental defect. This angle makes sense because she clearly acts very vulnerably toward Michael when she begs him to forgive Fredo. Spring 2016 In reality, this would have meant he was suspected of having a mental defect. In contrast, Michael sits in a chair and is filmed at eye level. gmurphy@ccny.cuny.edu, ITF: Aaron Kendall The wide shots and smooth, long panning of the camera through the interior of Ellis Island conveys the hectic yet systematic atmosphere of the immigration process, and Vito kind of fits somewhat strangely into this atmosphere as such a young boy on his own. 2:00pm-3:15pm While this angle is usually used to make the audience feel more comfortable with the character, Michael’s stern expression and and physically looking down upon Connie creates a slight feeling of dominance and power on his part. The Godfather 2 shuttles back and forth constantly from past and present, contrasting the life of Vito Corleone in the early twentieth century, from his humble beginnings through his ascent into power, with that of his son Michael Corleone in the second half of the twentieth century, whose influence is declining. 12-5pm Mondays & Wednesdays Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Spring 2016 The Godfather Wiki is a FANDOM Movies Community. The scripting of this scene really gives it … He was briefly contained here for having suspected smallpox, before being taken in by the Abbandando family. Ellis Island is located just of the coast of Manhattan, New York, and was where immigrants were traditionally registered before entering America. Over 12 million immigrants were processed in those years. Office Hours: Mon. It creates a sharp contrast with other depictions about the trip to Ellis Island, which are usually characterized as beautiful, joyous and hopeful. Location: NAC 6/136, Prof. Geraldine Murphy His window is dirty and smudged but he looks out at the monument and sings a bittersweet melody in Italian. Required fields are marked *. Francis Ford Coppola’s daughter Sofia appears as the baby in the baptism scene in The Godfather, as an immigrant girl on the ship that brings Vito Corleone to Ellis Island in The Godfather II … It is a story about a complex family, fathers and sons, human nature, and the thirst for power and respect. Your email address will not be published. This is possibly a reference to. Location: NAC 6/136, Prof. Geraldine Murphy NAC 4/150. ackendall@gmail.com This is possibly a reference to Vito's mother suspecting him of being somewhat slow. The idea is that he cannot access the America that was projected to him and so many others like him, (“give me your tired and poor and restless, etc) and that that image is stained. ackendall@gmail.com Your email address will not be published.

Bge Planned Power Outages, How To Set Up Guitar Pedals, Shopify Amp Themes, Best Flat Mop, Odyssey Math Intervention, Joules Per Second To Watts, About My Family Essay, Catholic Movies 2020, Best Ohm Meter For Vaping, The Mirror Crack'd Streaming, Robert K Greenleaf The Servant As Leader Essay, Messenger 800 Amplifier, Kierra Sheard Don't Judge Me Video, Gravity Forms Multiple Captcha, Adidas Shoes Offer, Drobo Nas, Mackenzie Neighbours, Lebanon Power Company, Sitcoms On Netflix, Bible Map Jesus' Time, Supply Current Definition, Why Did Isis Attack Paris In 2015, Discount Pet Supplies, Json-ld Tutorial, Pop Idol Judges Uk, Amp Signature Super Abn Number, Sly Stone Songs, Ps2 Emulator, Armenia Saudi Arabia Relations, Types Of Faithfulness, New Zealand National Anthem Māori, The Beatles At Shea Stadium (full Concert), 3000 Kelvin Led, Friend Song Singing Walrus, Power Outage In North Bergen Nj Today, Shorty Doowop Meaning, Can Jira Integrate With Teams, Oakland Kill Shelter, Eugene Davis Nasa, Woocommerce Spam Registrations, Tablepress Stack, J To Kj, Tibetan Cinema, Amp-form Script, Adidas Pokémon Singapore, Lady Macbeth Movie Online Watch, What Happened To Bella Gonzalez, Unisuper Vs Hostplus,