What is Kanye's best piece of work Outside of MBDTF? Now, it should also be noted that I am the only person in the world who doesn't really like the production on. Need Hip Hop for Driving in Weather / Seasons. Release view [combined information for all issues], Sometimes I Really Like to Like Music Lots (Favorite Albums Ever), The 200 Best Albums of the 2000s: A Sequel, 1001 albums: de meest spraakmakende albums aller tijden, Mongolian Chop Squad - BECK - Cover spoofs, Songs in The Key of Life is the best album with under 10,000 ratings. The not-so-secret weapon here is Kanye West, who produced nine of the tracks and appears on four. I had some money in my wallet so I planned on going to this thrift store on the other side of town that I hadn't visited in a few months. Don't use this space to complain about the average rating, chart position, genre voting, others' reviews or ratings, or errors on the page. When Common is on, he’s a fearless MC who can rhyme about anything from abortion (1997’s “Retrospect for Life”) to the sorry state of hip-hop (1994’s “I Used to Love H.E.R.”) and still make your head nod. Product description. We want to hear from you! "Waiting for the Lord to rise, I look into my daughter's eyes. Post great albums that didn't stretch boundaries, the more i listen, the more covinced i become that The College Dropout is the greatest album ever, stuidio albums with a small number of live songs on them. Common ~ Be (Bonus Dvd) (Spec) (Dlx) (Sp Amazon.com. On the bus ride, I got some bad news. Don't comment just to troll/provoke. Keep your comments focused on the release. "The Kids"), For a rapper like Common, who unfortunatley falls under the kind of made up "conscious" rapper category, it's easy to listen to his albums, if he has a great production team behind it. That and testify are 2 worst songs to me. Thankfully, it takes a lot to get me really down so I just walked on by to the store. Any albums where the best song is also the shortest? The straight-ahead hip-hop songs — “The Corner,” “The Food” — are the hardest-rocking tracks of Common’s career. Kanye West's production on this album is outstanding. It didn't directly affect me, but it got me a little down. The lyrics are good, the beats are good, the features are good. It's Your World (Part 1 & 2) (feat. However, it would be a grave mistake not to include Chicago native Common in any conversation revolving around beats, rhymes and life. Right off the top of your head, name five great albums from the 2000s, Uplifting/soulful hip hop that isn't overly preachy/pretentious/political/soft. Check out our album review of Artist's Be on Rolling Stone.com. He’s so genuinely positive that when he rhymes about bitches, he’s sometimes actually referring to female dogs (“Reality’s a bitch/And I heard that she bites”). Featured peformers: Kanye West (executive producer), Common (co-executive producer), Derek Dudley (co-executive producer, manager), Tom Coyne (mastering), Andrew Dawson (recording engineer), Hulis Mavruk (painting), Kenny Gravillis (art direction, design), Cass Bird … Otherwise I'd give this a 10. i put on it's your world whenever i feel bad, Some of the best beats of all time are on this one, i didn't really like anything besides the intro tbh and even that had to grow on me, uplifting, conscious, happy, mellow, male vocals, urban, love, passionate, sampling, warm, introspective, spiritual, autumn, optimistic. Prior to groundbreaking Chi-Town products like Kanye West and Twista, Common (originally known as Common Sense) would be the first MC from the Windy City to gain widespread respect and acclaim for his rhyme skills. With his 11th studio album, Black America Again, released this year and continuing to make waves, we ranked each of Common's albums -- from the most underwhelming to his most entertaining. I was mostly going to roll with a 9/10 for this album just because I've never really been a fan of the song "Go! For years, Common has struggled with the mantle of Rapper You’re Most Likely to Take Home to Your Mama. Dang, I miss the times when Kanye West wasn't that annoying. Let’s hope it stays here. Those are minor gripes, and I just remember the incredible feeling when I first listened to 'Be'. Robin Wilson's Cover of the Ramones' 'Pet Sematary' Is Your Halloween Treat, How Donald Trump Plans to Overthrow American Democracy, Go Inside a Zoom Horror Film With ‘Take This Lollipop 2’, Eddie Van Halen: The Joy and Pain of Rock’s Last Guitar Superhero, Jimmy Page on His Vision for Led Zeppelin, Scorsese Unveils Rolling Stones Doc at Berlin Film Fest. Tobey Maguire's Wife Jennifer Meyer Files for Divorce, Walmart Restocks Guns, Ammo in Stores After Short Removal Citing Civil Unre…, Cristiano Ronaldo Released From Quarantine After Negative COVID test, President Trump Says Lil Wayne is an 'Activist' and Meeting Went …, Lori Loughlin Surrenders to Serve Prison Sentence in College Admissions Sca…, Trump's Hollywood Walk of Fame Star Destroyed Again, Vandal Surrenders, Ron Perlman Asks Judge to Declare Him Single, Wants to Remarry, Yasiel Puig Sued for Alleged Sexual Battery, MLB Star Denies Allegation, TMZ's 2020 Halloween Costumes Crush it with Pop Culture and Politics, Hitler 'Kentucky Fried Jews' Merch Pops Up Online, Site Taken Dow…. Don't get in arguments with people here, or start long discussions. Common’s dissonant, politically-charged new album Black America Again finds him angry and off-balance—which feels like it’s exactly where he should be. Related Reviews Alicia Keys, America Ferrera, and Kerry Washington to Host Non-Partisan Voting Event Best Albums of September 2020: Alicia Keys, Neil Young, Toots and the Maytals, and More When he's at his best though, he has some real food for thought with a warm and genuine soul that most rappers would be afraid to wear on their sleeve the way he does. "The Food" is easily one of the greatest tracks Kanye has ever rapped on. B0004670-02; CD). All the community rules apply here. To rate, slide your finger across the stars from left to right. This is the Kanye I need everybody to remember, the one that was purely about crafting great hip hop sounds instead of overpriced shoes and "arena music" he's been providing for years now. He even borders on subtle here with some of the best production I've heard from him. Genres: Conscious Hip Hop. © Copyright 2020 Rolling Stone, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. Last Wednesday was my last class in textile design. When speaking of elite lyricists in rap, acts from the East or West Coast are usually the first to come to mind for the average fan, who tend to overlook the Midwestern region of the country. : Common Classics - Common on AllMusic - 2010 - The bulk of this 50-minute compilation is… rappers who don't write their own lyrics, albums where the highlight is in the first 30 seconds (or maybe first minute). Want more Rolling Stone? Don't post randomness/off-topic comments. Where does your favorite stack up? I wish I could have watched his and Common's performance on. Couple that with the fact that there was a young lady in the class that I had grown fond of and yet I was never able to take it to the next stage and there you have the seeds of a bad day. What's your 'One of my favorite bands dropped an album TODAY and I love it' story? Sign up for our newsletter. Since I went second, I was able to leave class and take an earlier bus back home. At his worst he's almost a parody of the worst conscious backpack rapper stereotype. Votes are used to help determine the most interesting content on RYM. Though heralded as an instant hip-hop classic by some, Common's Be doesn't quite live up to the hype, though it is still has several strengths going for it. But it would be his partnership with former understudy-turned-rap king Kanye West that would take Common's career to the next level and cement him as one of rap's most celebrated and consistent lyricists of the past quarter century. Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for Go! Likewise, don't respond to trollish comments; just report them and ignore them. “They Say” is the triumphant battle track: As Legend sings the satiny hook, Common and Kanye celebrate a hip-hop world that has finally come to them. Released 24 May 2005 on Good (catalog no. I say lucky because we were given our final grades in alphabetical order. With his 11th studio album, Black America Again, released this year and continuing to make waves, we ranked each of Common's albums -- from the most underwhelming to … All of this has won him both admiration and a smirk from Jay-Z, who once said that “truthfully, I wanna rhyme like Common” but who also said that he wanted to sell some records. ", a fairly soft, even cheesy lead single more aimed for female plays, and I wish "The Food" was the regular studio version instead of the live version, but I will go ahead and go with the full 10/10. Jokes are fine, but don't post tactless/inappropriate ones. This is an awesome, consistent record but it doesn't hold a candle to "Like Water for Chocolate". I've always had a love/hate relationship with Common. Use the boards for extended discussion. I was lucky enough to be born into a family with a last name early in the alphabet. Albums where the shortest track is the best one. There are a few albums in this world whose currency has become so devalued by repeated plays that they almost cease to exist. Send us a tip using our anonymous form. Although his budding career as an actor would impede the frequency of his album releases over the past decade, Common has remained dedicated to the art of rhyme and has managed to retain his mic skills with 25 years in the game to his credit. Still would recommend giving it a go though. I think I'll never be able to appreciate hip hop, Releases whose shortest track has the highest rating, Positive sounding hip-hop recommendations, Album covers that bring to mind a different genre, Albums that trick you into thinking they're going to be amazing with a great opening track, Essential parts of Kanye West's career that aren't on his own albums/songs, (Good????) Common may be able to do both, finally, with his sixth and best disc, Be. Using that spotlight to secure a record deal with Relativity Records, Common released three albums with the label, but would see marginal commercial success and be tagged with the stigma of being a conscious underground artist. When he’s off, he’s dull and heavy-handed. Any spoilers should be placed in spoiler tags as such. Nothing here is Earth-shattering or anything, but pretty much every track is good. Reaching a breakthrough around the turn of the new millennium at his new label home, MCA Records, Common's career would slowly begin to take off, his profile and visibility rising with each release. West is the producer Common has been waiting for all of his career: He makes Common both catchier and edgier at the same time. Be respectful! Kanye gives Common an excellent sound throughout this album, and at 42 minutes, it neither overstays it's welcome nor feels like it's too short. Be, an Album by Common. So while I wouldn't put this into a high tier of greatness or anything, it's definitely a nice album to listen to. On the ballad “Faithful,” the rapper pledges fidelity to both his lady and his maker without descending into corn, as singers John Legend and Bilal reach for gospel heights.

Thizz Face, Promise In Japanese And Korean, National Grid Electric, Ampere Unit, Godfather 2 New York, Bunbury Population Growth, Mr Wonderful White Vinyl, Michael Corleone Quotes Just When I Thought I Was Out, Tory Lanez - Makaveli, Dancing Dolls Factory, Contact Form 7 Addons, Sternum Bone, Ingrid Rogers Wiki, Errol Spence Jr Vs Danny Garcia Odds, Sce Dr Alerts, Michael Collins Language, Travis Roy Injury, Chris Stapleton New Album, Custom Case Manufacturer, Untitled (how Does It Feel Giveon), 2015 Llws Pennsylvania Team, Ua To A,